Thank you for your interest in volunteering with HALO!
We rely on the support of volunteer time and resources every day. At HALO we have a number of opportunities that might match your individual interest and skill. We ask that you review the opportunities below to find your best fit, then please fill out the following form and bring it into the shelter:
Immediate Volunteer Needs:
Prepare and serve a meal for shelter residents to enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner. This opportunity is best for groups of 6 or more and is a great team-building opportunity for employers. HALO serves over 14,000 meals each month. Meal makers for dinner are especially needed. Help us achieve 100% meal coverage for dinner!
View our Meal Maker information to learn more about what it takes to be a Meal Maker.
Individual or Group Opportunities
- Paint and fix up a room - One of our favorite volunteer opportunities! We are looking for volunteers to adopt one of our sleeping rooms, or a common area within the shelter, in need of refurbishing. There has been significant wear and tear to many rooms throughout the shelter over the years. By helping to paint a client room you can restore well-used rooms to their original condition or better - helping make clients feel more comfortable.
- Restoration can include painting, repairing cracks in walls, replacing ceiling tile, floor tile, and light bulbs, or waxing or finishing floors. Additionally, you can choose to donate or replace dressers, under the bed storage containers, pillows, bedding, coat racks for the doors, standing clothing racks, air fresheners, shower caddies, shower flip flops, wall mirrors, or decorative wall hangings.
- Donation Drives - You, your family, your co-workers, your school, your church... any individual or group can host a donation drive for personal care items needed at the shelter daily. Successful donation drives have included Diapers, Deodorant Sticks, New Socks & Undergarments, Food Drives and more. Use Facebook and other social media to spread the word. A great alternative to receiving gifts on your birthday.
- Tutoring - We want to support our children's educational needs. Often, children who are experiencing homelessness have fallen behind in school or are at significant risk of falling behind. We want these children to succeed and being a tutor can make a big difference in a child's educational journey and life.
- Children's Activities - Make a difference in the lives of the children who are in shelter by coordinating a fun, memorable activity such as storytelling, game night, musical performance, sing-a-longs, outdoor picnics, arts and crafts and more. Nighttime activities between 5-8pm are needed most, but we'll work around your schedule!
- Children's Summer Enrichment Program - Volunteers and camp counselors are needed for our free, 8-week educational program for children in 1st through 5th grades. This is an ideal program for youth and young adults to gain valuable experience working with children.
- Meal Makers - Prepare and serve a meal for shelter residents to enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner. This opportunity is best for groups of 6 or more and is a great team-building opportunity for employers. HALO serves over 11,000 meals each month. Meal makers for dinner are especially needed. View our Meal Maker information to learn more about what it takes to be a Meal Maker.
- Assist Staff - Be a friendly, welcoming face at either one of the front desk intake areas, assist staff by answering phones and completing small daily tasks. Volunteers with computer skills are always needed for staff assistance and data entry.
- Special Events & Fundraising - Help us make our special events successful and fun. Become a HALO ambassador at community events.
- Passion Fundraising - Turn what you love to do—your passion—into a fundraiser for HALO
- Gardening, Groundskeeping, & Facility - Help us maintain the exterior and grounds of our 22,000 square foot facility with gardening, painting, lawn care, etc.
- Join a Board Committee - We are always looking for people who have the heart to help those experiencing homelessness to join our Board or serve on a Board Committee.
- Fund Development
- Human Resources
- Programs and Services
For more information about becoming a HALO Volunteer, please contact Lynn Hegeman at email@example.com!
On the 4th Wednesday of January and July, HALO participates in the community Point in Time street outreach event. Volunteers go out into the community to look for persons who are experiencing to get a street count, as well as offer them food and shelter at HALO.